I love home made Almond Milk. Its really delicious and doesn’t contain all of the thickening ingredients and added ” stuff ” that the commercial store bought brands do. Almond milk is super healthy, non dairy, gluten free and is great for making smoothies or to drink straight up as a snack.
While visiting one of my favorite food blogs, www.elanaspantry.com, I saw a recipe for “Wheat Thins” using the left over Almond Pulp ( which I never had ANY idea what to do with ) and while checking out her recipe for Almond Milk, I learned to not blend the soaked almonds in the water it was soaked overnight in, instead to use fresh water for blending the milk. The skin of the almonds ( brown stuff) has enzyme inhibitors which makes the nut harder to digest. Soak all nuts that have a brown peel to activate the enzymes and make them more digestible. When you cover the nuts with fresh water and soak them overnight the enzyme inhibitors are released and the nuts become “alive” and are therefore more easily digested. Thanks Elana!
2 cups almonds
4 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
liquid stevia to taste ( I usually use Vanilla Creme Liquid Stevia )
- Soak almonds in water overnight
- Discard soaking water and rinse almonds in a deep bowl of water, repeat until water is clear
- Place soaked almonds, vanilla extract and 4 cups of water in a Vitamix blender
- Blend on highest speed for a minimum of 90 seconds
- Strain milk through cheesecloth, fine mesh paint strainer bag or nut bag
- Add liquid stevia to your liking