My little guy Nate LOVES this recipe. He asks me to make it every couple of months and my answer is the same … we need to wait until July when stone fruit is in season. Poor guy….
8 chicken leg quarters or a whole cut up chicken, organic and free range
1/2 – 1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
1/2 – 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons organic butter or ghee
2 large onion, finely chopped (I like Spanish onions, they’re sweeter)
2 teaspoons paprika (spice)
1 bunch green onions, chopped (about 8-10 include the green part)
1 cup orange juice (organic and no sugar added. I use Trop 50)
4 tablespoons Irish Whiskey or Bourbon
2 cups organic peaches, chopped
a dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper and place in a large roasting pan. Preferably a glass Pyrex or stainless steel pan and set aside
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over a medium heat. Once melted add the chopped onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until translucent, approximately 5 minutes or so. Add the paprika and all but 2 tablespoons of the chopped green onions and continue to saute for an additional 5 minutes
- Spread the onion mixture evenly over the chicken in the pan
- Mix the orange juice and the liquor together and pour over the chicken and onions
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, turning and basting occasionally
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven, spoon the peaches over the top of the chicken and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Put back in the oven for another 15 – 30 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked (no trace of pink near the bone).
- Plate your chicken and spoon the peach, onion and some gravy over the top, sprinkle with some of the remaining green onions and serve!