I found this recipe in a cookbook written by one of my favorite chefs Ina Garten, otherwise known as Barefoot Contessa!
1 – 3 rib standing rib roast ( 7-8 pounds)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 &1/2 teaspoons pepper, freshly ground
Mustard Horseradish Sauce (see recipe in blog)
- Two hours before roasting, remove the meat from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and place the oven rack on the second lowest position.
- Place the roast in a pan large enough to hold it comfortable, bones side down and spread the top with a thick layer of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Roast the meat for 45 minutes. Without removing it from the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and roast for another 30 minutes.
- Finally, increase the temperature to 450 degrees and roast for another 15 to 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meat is 125 degrees. (be sure that the thermometer is exactly in the center of the roast) The total cooking time will be between 1 &1/2 and 1 & ¾ hours.
- Remove the roast from the oven and transfer it to a cutting board. Cover it with foil* and allow the meat to rest for 20 minutes.
- Carve and serve with the sauce.
- An instant thermometer is helpful for this recipe.
- * Don’t touch the meat with the foil, just tent it over the roast and do not let it sit for more than 30 minutes or it will overcook!