This is a CHEAT MEAL. Use Dreamfield’s Pasta, which is lower in carbs than regular pasta. I do not recommend eating this dish on a weekly basis, but as a treat, when your body is craving comfort food….why not? Life is about enjoying, and this Mac & Cheese is delicious!
2 cups half and half, organic
4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 onion, chopped
1 low carb pita, made into “bread crumbs” in a food processor (Joseph’s brand)
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon dried mustard (found in the spices isle at a super market)
2 tablespoon butter, organic
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 box Dreamfields pasta, elbows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil pasta as per its box instructions until al dente, drain and return to the pot. Reserve 2-3 tablespoons of the water just incase the pasta becomes too dry.
- While the pasta and water are boiling, melt butter in a heavy skillet or dutch oven and sauté the onions on low until translucent. Approximately 5-7 minutes.
- In a blender combine half and half, xanthan gum and dry mustard. Blend until well incorporated.
- Pour cream mixture in with the onions and heat on low/medium heat until thickened.
- Add cheese slowly to the cream and onions while whisking the entire mixture well.
- When all the cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened, pour into the pasta pot and combine everything well.
- Pour pasta and sauce into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle low carb pita bread crumbs on top of macaroni.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of macaroni and bread crumbs.
- Spray the top of the macaroni and cheese with olive oil. (I use a Misto Sprayer)
- If the pasta mixture is too dry add some of the reserved water and mix well.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until topping is nicely browned.