I’ve been preparing this recipe for years, it a Rosati Thanksgiving staple…my family has come to expect this unique sidedish every year! This recipe contains a spice called Mace. Mace is a uniquely flavored spice. You either love it or hate it. I recommend this recipe to adventurous foodies…if you’re a finicky eater I recommend that Sweet Potato Casserole #2 would be a better choice to try. I absolutely LOVE IT and I hope you do too!
2 pounds sweet potatoes, approximately 2 large
1 cup sour cream
2 egg yolks
¾ teaspoon salt
(2) ¼ teaspoons mace (you decide how much mace you want to use…1 or 2 ¼ teaspoons)
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes, boil on stove until very tender, approximately 30 minutes. Test by sticking with a fork for done-ness.
- Drain water and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor or with a mixer mash sweet potatoes until they have a smooth consistency.
- Add sour cream, egg yolks, salt and mace and combine well.
- Pour mixture into a buttered oven proof casserole dish.
- Combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and pour on top of sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
This dish can be prepared a few days ahead of time. To do so, prepare the casserole as per the directions and reduce the baking time to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until the day you want to eat it. Remove covered casserole from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature, approximately 2 hours. Remove plastic wrap and dot casserole with butter. Put in oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and serve.