Who needs mashed potatoes when there’s mashed turnips? That’s what I say…
7 large turnips, peeled and chopped into cubes TIP: to save time I use 2-3 bags of frozen cut up turnips found in the freezer section of my supermarket
1 cup half and half or heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
- Peel, wash, and quarter turnips. (or prepare frozen turnips as per package)
- Boil 35-45 minutes or until tender. Strain and rinse cooked turnips.
- Place in large mixing bowl and use fork to break up turnips into smaller bits or use a hand held mixer to mash.
- Add milk and butter. Blend to desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Variation: Garlic Mashed Turnips
- Add 2 cloves fresh garlic cloves to the water with turnips, boil and mash with the other ingredients as per #3 and follow the rest of the steps.