This is my Grandma Millie’s recipe for Sausage & Peppers. My mom Olivia has been preparing it the same way that Millie taught her my whole life. Now, I prepare it for my family. I love the tradition. Things that get passed down from generation to generation. It’s such a simple thing and yet it brings me such comfort. I feel a direct connection to my Grandmother through this recipe. Its as if she’s still here with me.
You can use all sweet sausage or all hot sausage or any combo there of. My father Lou, likes his with mostly sweet sausage, and a couple of hot sausage thrown in! It’s up to you. Buon appetito!
1 package hot sausage links, cut into 3’s
1 package sweet sausage links, cut into 3’s
2 onions, sliced lengthwise ( I like spanish onions, they’re sweeter…)
3 peppers, sliced lengthwise ( I usually use green, red and yellow but you can use any color you’d like)
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
garlic powder to taste ( listen, I go really heavy on the garlic!)
salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Cut up the sausage links into 3 segments each.
- Spray the bottom of a roasting pan with an all natural nonstick spray (I use a Misto Sprayer filled with EVOO).
- Put sausage in the oven and brown sausage on all sides. Turning in pan every 10 minutes or so.
- Add sliced onions and peppers to the browned sausage in the roasting pan.
- Drop the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle generously with garlic powder.
- Add salt and fresh pepper to taste.
- Add white vinegar and water to roasting pan.
- Cook uncovered until peppers are soft, turning occasionally. Approximately 30 – 45 minutes.