This recipe is from Dana Carpender’s book 1001 Low Carb Recipes. They are very tasty and I love the lemon flavor. For those of you who want to avoid artificial sweeteners like Splenda, substitute the Splenda for Just Like Sugar-Baking. It’s a little expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.
1 cup almond meal
1 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Splenda (or sugar substitute of your choice)
1 teaspoon baking soda (aluminum free)
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 lemon rind, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine almond meal, protein powder, baking powder, salt, Splenda or sweetener, baking soda and poppy seeds. Stir well until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, eggs, water, lemon extract and lemon rind. Whisk together.
- Spray muffin holes with non stick spray or use paper liners.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Don’t over mix.
- Spoon the batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool for about 10 minutes then pop them out of the muffin tin and enjoy!