Cheesecake is a quintessential low-carb dessert. My mom, Olivia made the cheesecake in the photo (and rocked out with it in my opinion!) and both my dad and she said it was SPECTACULAR! One of my winning strategies is to bring a satisfying dessert with me to parties that I can indulge in without blowing my sugar-free lifestyle. Olivia found the recipe in the book Low Carb-ing Among Friends, a compilation book written by a group of Low-Carb authors. She added cherry topping instead of leaving it plain. The brand she used was Walmart’s brand Great Value, No-Sugar Added Cherry Pie Filling or Topping. It is sweetened with Splenda. I’ve added a bonus strawberry-topped variation courtesy of the book. Enjoy and be sure to leave me your comments below!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a food processor, crush the mixed nuts on low speed for a couple of seconds.
- To a medium bowl, add nuts, melted butter, flax meal, and sucralose and stir together.
- Press mixture into a 9-inch circular pie pan or spring-form pan.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until the nuts begin to slightly brown.
- Remove pan from oven ad reduce temperature to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl with a mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add the sour cream and liquid sucralose and beat another 30 seconds.
- Add eggs slowly one by one to mixture on medium speed.
- Finally, add heavy cream and vanilla extract and scrape bowl.
- Pour contents over cooled crust.
- Gently drop the pan to eliminate any air pockets.
- Bake cheesecake for 55 to 60 minutes or until the center is just about set.
- Remove cheesecake from oven.
- Shut off the oven and open the oven door for approximately a minute.
- Put the cheesecake back in the oven for one hour to cool.
- After one hour place cheesecake in refrigerator for at least four hours to cool fully.
- Strawberry- Topped Cheesecake: In a medium bowl, add 1 cup sliced strawberries and liquid sucralose (liquid Splenda) to equal 1/4 cup Splenda granular sweetener together. Mash to break up strawberries and add roughly 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum to thicken. Chill for one half and hour before serving cheesecake with strawberries on top.