1 – 3.5 pound whole chicken, cut up
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (I always use Spanish onions)
1-2 bay leaves (I prefer fresh but you can use dried)
1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon oregano
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup dry red wine
8 ounces tomato sauce (I tend to use more than 8 ounces)
1 cup chicken stock, low sodium
garlic powder (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and optional garlic powder.
- Heat a large Dutch Oven on medium and add oil.
- Add chicken pieces and brown on all sides, approximately 5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same Dutch Oven, add onion, bay leaf, rosemary and oregano.
- Sauté until onion is translucent and the aromatics from the herbs are released, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and the bell pepper and sauté for another 15 minutes or until the vegetables are golden.
- Add the crushed garlic, wine, tomato sauce and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and place chicken pieces back in the Dutch Oven.
- Cover and continue to simmer until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, approximately another 20-30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (keep in mind that the chicken stock contains salt…)