To make this recipe within Paleo guidelines, substitute almond flour in place or the Dixie Carb Counters Bakesquick Mix and use Ghee or Coconut Oil in place of the butter.
2 pounds veal shanks
¼ cup Dixie Carb Counters Bakesquick Mix (or Almond flour)
¼ cup butter (or Ghee or Coconut Oil)
2 cloves garlic, crushed (I use frozen Dorot Crushed Garlic cubes)
1 large onion, chopped (I use Spanish onions- they’re sweeter)
1 large carrot, chopped
2/3 cup dry red wine
2/3 cup beef stock, organic and low sodium
1(14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
Final Stir-In Ingredients:
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Dust the veal shanks lightly in Dixie Carb Counters Bakesquick Mix or Almond flour.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the veal, and cook until browned on the outside (on all sides).
- Remove to a bowl, and keep warm.
- Add two cloves (cubes) of garlic and onions to the skillet; cook and stir until onion is tender and translucent.
- Return the veal to the pan and mix in the carrot and wine.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and beef stock, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer over a low hear for 1 & 1/2 hours, basting the veal ever 15 minutes or so; the meat should be tender, but not falling off the bone.
- 10. In a small bowl, mix together the parsley, 1 clove of garlic and lemon zest.
11. Mix into the veal just before serving.