This recipe is REALLY yummy, especially if your like Mexican food and sour cream (and I do!). I serve it during the warmer months and for parties, its always a big hit!
Taco Seasoning Mix
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
taco seasonings mix (recipe is above)
¾ cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups lettuce (romaine or iceberg), shredded
1 cup firm and ripe tomatoes, diced
½ of a 16-ounce container sour cream
1 cup Mexican cheese blend (bagged and already shredded)
1 small can of black olives already sliced
a handful of fresh cilantro, minced
1 avocado, diced (optional)
Picante sauce (optional)
- Brown the meat with olive oil in a large skillet. When meat is browned, mix the taco seasoning with water and add to the skillet. Simmer until reduced. Remove from the heat when done.
- Mince the cilantro and dice the avocado and set aside.
- Mix sour cream with minced cilantro and the juice of one lime.
- Chop or shred lettuce into bite sized pieces and layer in the bottom of a clear glass bowl.
- Dice the tomatoes and put a generous layer on top of the shredded lettuce.
- If using the avocado, sprinkle some on top of the tomatoes now.
- Put a layer of cooled taco meat on top of the tomatoes.
- Then a thick layer of shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Put a thick and large round circle of sour cream mixture on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle the top with the sliced black olives.
- Garnish with a smaller circle of diced tomatoes on top of the sour cream and olives.
- Spoon out individual servings into a plate and drizzle with Picante Sauce if you’d like.