I totally LOVE coconut! Imagine my thrill when I found out that I could eat unsweetened coconut anytime I wanted … I was a pretty happy goddess!
I found this recipe in the book 1001 Low Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender. It’s super simple to make and the bars taste delicious. Take note of the sugar in this recipe … here’s the deal – I always use all natural sugar substitutes when I cook, it’s really the way to go. Just sayin’
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons Splenda or sugar substitute of your choice (I use all natural Just Like Sugar-Baking)
1 1/2 cups vanilla whey protein powder (I use Jay Robb brand)
1 cup unsweetened coconut, finely shredded
2 – 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, coconut oil and sugar substitute until light and creamy.
- Beat in the protein powder, shredded coconut and water, in that order, scraping down the sides of the bowl several times to make sure that all the ingredients are well blended.
- Line a jelly roll pan with baking parchment and turn the dough onto it. Place another sheet of baking parchment on top and press the dough out into a thin, even sheet.
- Use a sharp knife, or a pizza cutter, to score the dough into small rectangles.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until a light golden brown. Cool and break apart.