Drinking enough water is very important for health and weight loss.
I know, I know – you know that already! But it’s true and I would guesstimate that 99.9% of people don’t drink enough water. To be totally transparent with you … I don’t drink enough water either. As a respected International Holistic Health and Wellness Expert, I’m embarrassed to admit that I HATE drinking water!!
My husband Mike, on the other hand drinks water like a camel. It irritates me on a cellular level. He’s constantly sucking down HUGE glasses of water. And heaven forbid if we go out anywhere and he forgets his stainless steel water bottle filled up to the tippy, tippy top with … what? You guessed it, WATER. He literally pouts… a pouting caveman! I can’t help but snap at him with an annoyed verbal remark like “RELAX – it’s not like we’re crossing the Sahara Desert and you don’t have your water bottle, SHEESH!”
All kidding aside, drinking more water is a super-healthy and super-easy thing to do. Since going sugar free and bumping up my protein intake, I’ve been more thirsty and therefore drinking a lot more water.
Did you know that drinking water at certain times of your day can maximize its benefits? I just love to multi-task, how about you?
Here are some guidelines:
- 2 (8 ounce) glasses of water upon waking helps activate your internal organs.
- 1 (8 ounce) glass of water 20 minutes before a meal can aid in digestion and help you to eat less food which will assist in weight loss.
- 1 (8 ounce) glass of water before and after a workout will help keep your body hydrated.
- 1 (8 ounce) glass of water when you’re dragging ass can help perk you up!
- 1 (8 ounce) glass of water before a bath will help to lower blood pressure.
- 1 (8 ounce) glass of water before bed can help to avoid stroke or heart attack.
A recommended guideline for your daily fluid intake would be to consume half your body weight in ounces of water or decaffeinated beverages. So, if you weigh 150 pounds, you should be drinking roughly 75 ounces of water per day. Make sure all your beverages are No Calorie. Never drink your calories, EAT them instead!
Like I mentioned earlier, I really hate drinking water, so I have suggestions for you to try… it makes drinking water more enticing, exciting, and down right SEX-AY!
- Drink Seltzer or Club soda. Seltzer comes plain, with fruit essence or in calorie free flavors that taste like fruity soda. My family drinks a lot of Seltzer. I recommend Polar Seltzer brand.
- Put washed and cut up pieces of fruit into your water. I use pieces of apples, strawberries, oranges, lemons or limes. Mint leaves infuse water nicely; I grow it in a container in my herb garden. My daughter Chelsea likes cucumber slices in hers. Very snazzy and spa like indeed.
- Experiment with different herbal teas. They’re a wonderful addition to your sugar free lifestyle. Personally, I drink a few cups of herbal tea a day, either hot or iced. One of my favorites is Celestial Seasonings – Red Zinger, Caffeine-Free, Herbal Tea. If you need to sweeten your herbal tea, use a dash of stevia or a packet of Truvia for an all natural, sugar free boost in sweetness.
- Try some Mineral Water like San Pellegrino with a squeeze of lemon or lime (or maybe a slice of both). So yummy – go ahead and try it!