I don’t know about you but I absolutely LOVE cinnamon buns. You can imagine how eager I was to make this recipe when I heard about it from my mother.
I tweaked the recipe by swapping the artificial sugar substitute used in the original recipe for (all natural) Just Like Sugar, Brown … a healthier choice. Splenda makes a brown sugar flavor too, I’ve seen it at my local Shop & Stop in the baking isle by all the other sweeteners… I just want to give you all your options 🙂
This recipe is located on the inside of the Carbquik box (yup, it’s printed on the inside of the box!). I buy Carbquick online or at a local store I absolutely love and recommend, called The Diet Shop in Ronkonkoma, NY. If you don’t live on Long Island, you can buy Carbquick online here.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all natural Just Like Sugar, Brown (or brown sugar substitute of your choice)
36 pecan or walnut halves (I used sliced almonds)
2 cups Carbquik
1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1/3 cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place 2 teaspoons butter, 2 teaspoons brown sugar substitute and 3 nut halves in each of the 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon in each cup and heat in oven until melted. Keep a close eye on it, once it melts, it will burn quickly … don’t ask…
- Mix Carbquik, applesauce and half and half until a dough forms.
- Adjust mixture by adding a few drops of water if needed to make the dough spoon-able.
- Spoon dough on top of mixture in muffin cups. Bake 10 minutes or until puffed up and bouncy to the touch.
- Invert on heat-proof serving plate.