Years ago the only choice for sugar substitutes when living sugar free were ca-ca chemicals; saccharin, Sweet & Low, etc. Today there are a number of all natural sugar substitutes to choose from that are much healthier for your body. Now, you get to have your cake and eat it too – Yippee!
One of the all natural sugar substitutes I use regularly for baking is Just Like Sugar (both tabletop and brown).
Just Like Sugar tastes a lot like table sugar, and is easy to measure for using in recipes… it’s 1 cup of Just Like Sugar = 1 cup table sugar. It also happens to be a zero-calorie, zero-carb, granulated sweetener that can be used very much like sugar. It contains no sugar alcohols and does not case the laxative effect of some of the other sweeteners. It is composed of natural fiber obtained from Chicory Root, Calcium and Vitamin C.
The Health Benefits Of Chicory Root:
- Cholesterol: It decrease the levels of serum LDL cholesterol in the blood.
- Inflammation: It contains vitamin C, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
- Diabetes: The inulin content is not digestible, so it’s lack of glucose can help promote optimal blood sugar levels while also increasing stool bulk and consistency.
- Constipation: It provides soluble fiber, which improves digestion.
- Gall Bladder Issues: It builds your body’s resistance to gallstones and liver stones. By increasing the flow of bile, it assists the body in digesting foods and liquids. The extra bile also helps break down fats in the body. Chicory root has a mild laxative effect, increases bile from the gallbladder, and decreases swelling.
- Urinary Tract Infections, Kidney Stones and Gout: It has diuretic properties that provide protection for the urinary tract system and kidneys. Toxins are removed and the cleansing of the body is stimulated because of an increase in urine flow. It has been used to expel gravel, calcium deposits, and excess uric acid from the body, which helps to prevent gout and kidney stones.
- Weight Loss: Chicory root benefits weight loss because of the effect it has on the digestive system. It is an excellent source of fructooligosaccharides which help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in your digestive tract. It also increases the rate of the break down of fats. It also helps with weight loss because it helps keep insulin levels low while enjoying sweet foods.
- Natural “Liver” Cleanser: Chicory root also supports the body’s detoxification system through the liver and kidneys, and is believed to help with calcium absorption. Chicory also helps prevent jaundice and an enlarged liver when mixed with water. Because of Chicory Root’s potential for removing contaminants from the digestive system, the liver does not have to work as hard to filter out toxins that may have escaped into the bloodstream. It also acts as a gentle laxative and diuretic for removing excess water and toxins, and this can also reduce strain on the liver.
- Anxiety: It is a natural sedative and anti-inflammatory for the nervous system. If you have anxiety issues and still drink coffee, this sweetener can help.
- Indigestion: It acts as an herbal antacid, the root neutralizes acid and correct acid indigestion, heartburn, gastritis, vomiting, upset stomach. Because it stimulates bile production, this helps to speed up the digestive process after eating too much rich food.
- Oral Health: Just Like Sugar is not fermentable and will not promote tooth decay.
Just Like Sugar is gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free and vegan safe. It does not contain soy, yeast, animal derivatives or preservatives.
Click on the links below to purchase Just Like Sugar- Tabletop or Just Like Sugar – Brown.