I found this interesting recipe on Your Lighter Side and decided it was worth trying (since I LOVE all things bread – especially breadsticks!).
Super-Yummy and my boys gobbled them up … Great for kids and adults alike! If you love breadsticks or mozzarella sticks … this recipe is definitely worth trying out. Get my simple and delicious recipe for Basic Italian Tomato Sauce here.
Here are a few tips and suggestions from The Ligher Side:
- Leaner meat is your friend. Think boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and not dark meat. I tried this 1:1 ratio of chicken and cheese with other fattier meats and the fat coagulates, making this a less pleasant dish. The cheese adds enough fat (even low fat mozzarella) that you want lean protein.
- Make sure to mince cooked, lean chicken prior to processing with the cheese. I use my Ninja, but a food processor or an amazing blender, or a sharp knife can do the same thing. Don’t over-process. You just want a fine shred, not pate.
- You will use a processor twice for this recipe: Once to process the chicken into fine shreds, and again to incorporate the cheese into the blend.
- If you are dairy free, try using an egg and 1/4 cup flax seed meal (adjust as needed) instead of cheese as binding agents.
- If you are vegetarian, you could replace chicken with a non-meat protein.
- Parchment paper is your friend, but I was able to make this recipe in small, nonstick bread pans without it. If you grease your pan, you can use butter, but the parchment just makes nonstick so much nicer.
- If your breadsticks come out moist, you can pop them back into the oven and cook slightly longer. You can pop the breadsticks out of the pan and onto a cookie sheet for faster baking.
- Keep the breadsticks to no more than 1/2″ thick or so to help them bake faster. I thought mine were an inch thick, but my husband told me they were closer to 1/2″.
- This crust is gluten free and Atkins induction friendly.
- I use cooked chicken for this crust. It was easier to handle, shredded up better, and, since it was already cooked, I didn’t have to worry about under cooking.
1 packed cup cooked, minced chicken breast
1 cup packed mozzarella, shredded
1 Tbsp parsley, dried
1 tsp basil, dried
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Process chicken and cheese together. Mixture will resemble a meal/thick, dense crumb consistency.
3. Firmly press chicken/cheese mixture to 1/2″ thick into non-stick, miniature bread pans, about 4X8″ (if you have a regular pan, you can spray and line with parchment for easy removal and use that instead).
4. Top with parsley, basil, onion and garlic powder.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Let cool for five minutes in pan.
7. Invert onto a cooling rack until fully cooled.
8. Slice into long, thin “sticks” and serve.
Makes a heck of a lot of breadsticks.