This dish is a wonderful compliment to almost any roasted meat or fish. You can either roast this dish in the oven or if your oven is full with other items you can sauté this on your stove-top. I have included directions for both ways but just so you know … I prefer fennel roasted in the oven, so that’s the cooking method I use.
TIP: When selecting fennel, pick bulbs that are firm and blemish free.
3 fennel bulbs, washed and cut in lengthwise in ¼ inch strips
1 Spanish onion, sliced lengthwise
6 cloves garlic, halved
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl put sliced fennel, sliced onion and garlic.
- Drizzle olive oil on top and mix well to coat all of the vegetables evenly.
- Pour vegetables into a roasting pan or baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven, tossing the vegetables every 10-15 minutes until evenly browned and caramelized.
- In a large saute or frying pan, warm the olive oil over a low to medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, approximately 2-4 minutes.
- Add the fennel, garlic and salt. Continue to sauté until the fennel takes on a sheen, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Continue to cook until the fennel is very soft and tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with fresh pepper and serve.