The other night I had a hankering for Beef Stroganoff, so I decided to surf the web and take a look at some low carb Beef Stroganoff recipes that were floating around out there. I ended up combining some of the different ingredients and ideas from two or three different recipes and came up with this one.
One of the recipes I looked at suggested using skirt steak cut into 2 x 1 strips, but I decided to use stew meat since I had it defrosted … however, I imagine the skirt steak would be scrumptious too!
My family and I thought it was delicious, I hope you love it too!
1 ¼ beef round (stew meat), cut into 2 x 1 strips or small cubes
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons grapeeseed oil
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup finely chopped Spanish onion
3 ounce small white mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
¼ cup dry red wine
1 cup beef broth
¼ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1-2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to warm setting. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown meat in batches, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a platter and place in oven.
- Melt butter in skillet; add onion, the bay leaves and cook 3 minutes, until softened. Add mushrooms. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushroom liquid evaporates.
- Add wine; cook 5 minutes. Stir in beef broth and cook 10 minutes, until mushrooms are coated with a thick sauce. Stir in sour cream and mustard. Add meat and accumulated juices.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 2-3 minutes, until meat is heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped parsley.