This recipe is quick and simple to make if you happen to live near a Trader Joe’s … they sell Mirepoix, which is a mixture of chopped celery, carrots and onions. I buy it whenever I’m going to make a soup or stew … it takes the chore of chopping all the veggies up.
tablespoon olive oil
cup Spanish onion, chopped
cup carrot, chopped
cups chicken broth, organic and low sodium
cup or small can of tomato sauce
teaspoon Italian Seasoning
ounces Italian pork sausage (I used hot)
ounces ground beef
- Heat olive oil In a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, marinara sauce and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the sausage, ground beef and egg together in a mixing bowl. Using a tablespoon, form meat mixture into balls and drop into the simmering soup (which is what I did). Alternatively, you can bake the meatballs in a 350°F oven on a jelly roll pan until brown on the outside before adding to the soup.
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve immediately.