Bitter greens are super healthy for your sacred body vessel, especially your liver … which is your body’s major detoxify-er.
Being Italian, I like to eat Italian comfort foods… and I had a hankering for sausage but wasn’t feeling Italian Sausage and Peppers … so I thought about it and come up with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe. Broccoli Rabe is a wonderful bitter green. I make it often in many different ways.
My sons and husband like a hearty meal, so once I made my sugar free plate, I added a pound of Dreamfield’s penne (low carb pasta) to the rest of the dish for my family. Everyone was HAPPY and I didn’t have to play short order cook!
Now THAT is how a Sugar Free Goddess rolls.
1 bunch broccoli rabe (approx. 1 pound), washed
1 -2 pounds Italian sausage (hot, sweet or combo), cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/4 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, pressed
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the washed broccoli rabe and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain reserving 2 cups of cooking water. Set the broccoli rabe aside to cool to room temperature, then chop coarsely.
- In a large roasting pan put sausage and drizzle with olive oil and add garlic.
- Bake in oven, mixing often until sausage is cooked and brown on all sides.
- Add brocolli rabe and some water if needed and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Toss lightly to mix, season with salt and pepper and Parmesan cheese to taste and enjoy!