Well … no one was more surprised than me that this recipe tastes so delicious! Pumpkin for a meal instead of dessert – who would have thought!
Did you know that pumpkin is low glycemic and very healthy for you? It is .. it contains lots of vitamins, minerals AND fiber.
The prep for this recipe is quick and easy too. If you’re gluten free … watch the chicken broth, some brands contain gluten. I think this soup would be wonderful for holiday meals – its has a sophisticated flavor and therefore comes off snazzy!
I package Jimmy Dean sausage (I used sage flavor)
1 cup onion, minced
1 – 2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional – I did not use)
2-3 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped (optional- I did not use)
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
4-6 cups chicken broth, organic and low sodium (depending on container size)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Brown sausage in a tablespoon of butter, drain if needed, then add the onion, garlic, sage and mushrooms and saute until done.
- Add pumpkin to this mixture and mix well.
- Then stir in the broth and mix well. Simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and water and simmer on low another 10-15 minutes.
- Give a sprinkle of salt and pepper as needed.
- You can put a dollop of creme fraiche in the middle if you’d like, it would add a super-snazzy touch – but I don’t think it’s necessary for a weeknight meal. I would probably go for adding the creme fraiche for my formal holiday gatherings.
Optional Variation: Swap the Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage for 2 pounds Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage, casings removed and follow recipe.